Psychedelic Prints & Contrasting Tones







Today's look is one that is heavily inspired by the warm tones and psychedelic prints of the 70s. The iconic style of this period has made a massive comeback over the past few seasons from flared trousers and bell bottomed sleeves to corduroy and sherling jackets. But today I wanted to focus on something that hasn't been seen as much - the use of print. This is a handmade vintage skirt (probably made from fabric from that exact period) and features a bold optical illusion type print. It features the colourway of black, white and brown and is a stand out piece in my wardrobe. As much as I love all of the 70s trends I though this is a really fun way of styling a 70s piece that we don't see too much of.


To work in with the tones in the skirt I decided to add a rich warm toned knit in an olive / mustard colour. It ties in well with the colourway of the skirt and keeps up the 70s look. However I thought to keep the look current and fresh I would juxtapose the warm tones with my cool toned grey coat and metallic silver/green bag. This adds a cool twist to the look and makes it more modern and much less a simple recreation of a look from that time. To finish the look of (and to make it more casual) I threw on my trusty old skool vans, However if you was heading out for food or drinks a pair of metallic heeled boots would look incredible.Photos by the incredible Sophie Donoghue / Steep Drop media. (@steepdrop on instagram) Toview her previous work just click here for come colourful lushness.


OUTFIT DETAILS: 
Jumper & Skirt are both thrifted / secondhand.
Coat H&M, no longer available but this is similar: http://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0511190001.html
Bag & Tights are from Primark, unfortunately they don't have an online store :(
Shoes: Vans (similar) : http://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0511190001.html

Let me know your thoughts in the comments, and I hope too see more of you soon!

XOXO, Emma. 


No comments