January Film & Music Favourites



Hello, hello!

Isn't January such a weird month, readjusting after Christmas and the blues that come along with it. For once though, I have actually had a pretty good month! But I am also glad to see the back of it, I feel like my year is only properly coming together now. However, I have managed to come across some amazing music and film discoveries this month (especially with all the time off I've been having), so I thought with it being the end of the month I would do a roundup of my favourites. I know that my film and music posts aren't as popular, so keeping them together in one post makes it more accessible for those who want to read, and easy for those who want to skip past it. So, let's start with music.

MUSIC


To start with if you look on my sidebar to the right,  you will see I have linked my Spotify playlist for this month, so while reading this post (or after) you can have a listen if you're interested, all of the songs I talk about (and the rest of my favourites from the month) are all in that playlist.

There seems to be a heavy focus on soulful moody female focals with songs such as Eliza -Wasn't Looking,  ZURI - Beg For It, and Courage & RAY BLK - 2 AM. These songs are stand outs which I have loved.

But there is also a focus on chilled more stripped back dance /electronic tracks, these sort of tracks always seem to clear my mind and help me relax, which is exactly what everyone needs to cure the January Blues. My top discoveries this month would be Crooked Colours - Flow, The Kite String Tangle - Selfish and Sense & Eleven - All Mine. 
Finally I can not forget the most exciting music release of of this month (well for me anyway), is the return of The Vaccines! There are one of my favourite current bands so I was super pumped about their return, and I can happily say that I am not disappointed. The two tracks released Nightclub & I can't Quit are instant hits.

FILMS

Films wise, this is where it gets more niche (hence why I put music first), with having a film degree I have certain tastes and certain themes / genres which I gravitate towards - especially independent cinema.This may not be to everyones cup of tea, but I want to discuss them anyway as they are incredible films which seem pretty underrated and deserve some more lovin'.

Davyveon (2017), Dir. Amman Abbasi 


70% on Rotten Tomatoes
Independent Social Eealist coming of age film following the life of a poor disadvantaged black youth after his brother was shot dead. Beautifully shot with discreet unnoticeable camera work, i.e. body shots, hand held and lush smooth tracking. I loved how the film did not glorify gang culture, and kept it gritty. It isn't a remarkable film, it isn't full of big blockbuster moments or anything really shocking, but that adds to the beauty of it. It just demonstrates the mundane reality of what his (and the other kids) life is like, and how little the opportunities they get offered are. It isn't Moonlight, but it is a beautiful film none the less. Oh, it's also available to stream on Netflix. Click here to watch the trailer.

Blame, (2018), Dir. Quinn Shepard

80% on Rotten Tomatoes
Written, Directed, Produced and starring Quinn Shepard this teenage coming of age drama follows the contrasting lives of Abigail and Melissa who are both struggling with something in their lives that they cannot control, but in very different ways. The film deals with basic high school issues such as bullying, sexuality and consent, but it also dives deeper into discussing mental illness,  abuse and teacher/student relationships. I think this is important in keeping coming of age dramas realistic, and is more relatable for teenagers going through similar situations. To me this is what makes the best of this genre, and these films are super important to me as I think there is a need to there to be more teenage films openly discussing mental illness and psychical abuse in the mainstream. I thoroughly enjoyed this film, there is a lot of depth to it and is a film you can watch the second time and notice so much more than you did the first. This would be my highest recommendation of the month. Click here to watch the trailer. 


Call Me By Your Name (2018), Dir. Luca Guadagnino


96% (Certified Fresh) on Rotten Tomatoes
This is the most stunning critically acclaimed romantic gay drama I have yet to watch. It is a beauty to behold, an absolute masterpiece. Depicting the blooming summer romance between Elio and Oliver, the development and attention to detail between these two characters is stunning. There is unbreakable chemistry between these two, and it speaks a million through their body language on film. If you are into your LGBTQ movies then this is for you, it's also for you if you like an epic love tale. I can't rave enough about this film, it has really stolen my heart. I feel this one is going to win a lot of awards this year, and is most definitely going to be a worldwide success. Click here to watch the trailer.

So those were my music and film favourites for January, these all kept me positive and happy within the longest / most dark month of the year!. Let me know in the comments what your favourites were! I'd love to know! 

XOXO, EMMA 



No comments