My favourite albums of 2017

My oh my what a year 2017 has been, not going to lie it's been one of the hardest most challenging years of my life. I've achieved a lot, but suffered a lot also. But the bad times have slightly weighed over the good. However it is not all bad, and if there is one thing I can always count on every year is my love for music. There have been a lot of stand out releases this year, and even though I have had a year of travelling into the past or just uncovering new artists that only have the odd singles, I do have a few picks that have knocked it out the park. There may only be three albums on this list, but I only wanted to include albums that I have been obsessive over and listened to on repeat - and these are the only ones that make the cut.

1. TYLER THE CREATOR, SCUM FUCK FLOWER BOY.

scum FK
Top songs: 911/Mr Lonely, Where the Flower blooms & I ain't got time!
If you know me personally you will know that this new release by the ever controversial Tyler the creator has stolen my heart. This album is such a masterpiece, the overall vibe of the album is so consistent even with the mix between hyped and slow songs. The lyrics are genius and very clever, always serving a commentary on the fuckery of society and playing on stereotypes and normalities that he is known for. I know I've picked out a whole bunch of favourite songs but 911/ Mr Lonely has been my anthem of 2017. He has been my number one inspiration this year, his vibe - and his style. Just 'errything about this guy this year is number one. This list isn't in any particular order other than this pick, this is my number one of the year.

2. KENDRICK LAMAR, DAMN.

661e1a935e2eacdd45c05ef618565535e7bed2ad (1)
Top Songs: DUCKWORTH & LUSH
Another one that won't surprise people is K. latest album. He is my favourite modern day rap artist, every album is absolute fire and his storytelling through his music is second to none. I will say, this album is one of my least favourites by him but it is still good enough to make this list, especially for the songs LUST & DUCKWORTH. Those two tracks are top dawg, probably due to the story that they tell within them (and the heartbeat throughout LUST gets me everytime I literally loose it over that beat).

3. ALT J, RELAXER.

alt-j-relaxer-album-artwork (1)
Top songs: Adeline, 3WW & Deadcrush.
A massive contrast to the other two picks, and probably very surprising  but 2017 has been the year that I uncovered my love for ALT J, through the release of this album. Obviously I always knew and loved the classics (breezeblocks, etc.), but I had never listened to an album by them until this year. They create the most interesting unique music that combines so many styles and genre, which makes there music definitely in its own lane. This collection of songs when listened to from start to finish transports you to another plane of existence, it honestly blows my mind. I know they are like marmite (similarly to Tyler I suppose) but if you are open minded towards music this album is one that will leave you speechless if you let it.
So they are my top albums of 2017, however there are so many other artists and albums that I have been obsessed with this year, so i might post another list in conjunction with this one all about my new discoveries and obsessions of the year ( that weren't released this year) Fingers crossed I have time! But for now, these top three will have to do.

XOXO, EMMA

No comments