Psychedelic Princess | Festival Series Part 2

Hello, Hello!

So with festival season vastly approaching, I would say it officially starts in the U.K. this bank holiday weekend (also my birthday!) With Radio One's Biggest Weekend & Slam Dunk. So I thought today in the second instalment of my festival series I would bring to you these two outfits and my concept focus, and ultimately (subject to change of course) what I'm going to be wearing to Parklife in just under 3 weeks. Actually on the subject of Parklife, I will also being doing a post on who I want too see perform / my top picks, so keep an eye out on the blog for that if it's something you're interested in. Also let me know in the comments if you're going to Parklife or any other festivals this year! I would love to know where you'll all be groovin' at. 

For me, one of the greatest things about festivals is the freedom of expression, and the opportunity to let your creative juices flow and get lost in the fantasy. Since I am only attending one festival this year, and with the stressful year I've had I really want to put my all into it. I've always had fun with festival fashion in the past, but I have never been brave enough to go as boldly as I wanted too. Also, while i was at university festivals didn't seem as exciting or important, they were just another party like all of university was. However, now that I live an adult life and work full time my lifestyle is completely different. So for me now this full weekend of freedom, music, partying and happiness is so much more important and special to me. There is nothing like that absolutely liberating feeling of freedom, and I think after all the responsibility I have taken on since university I really can't wait for it.

So, onto my concept and my outfit styling in this post. My overall theme, as the title suggests is psychedelic princess. I really wanted to go for heavily printed hippie / psychedelic vibe. Think The Yellow Submarine by The Beatles meets Rave Queen.  I really wanted to try and keep these looks cohesive and stick to my theme and I think I did so with the use of print, both the main features of these looks have heavily psychedelic and bold patterns. I couldn't believe my luck when I picked up this little two piece set for 50p! The bold colourful print and the fit of it is perfect, because I feel secure but I also look super sassy and like a little festival queen! I love how cheeky the bottoms are, they show my lil peaches so nicely. I feel like just on it's own it would just look like an abstract bikini, however teaming it with yellow tinted glasses, a pair of red fishnet tights, my super chunky platform shoes, the cute little denim backpack and finally the cowboy hat the look really comes together. Accessories in my day to day life is something that I always overlook, however I think they are essential with festival fashion. I mean who can deny the power that the flower crown has had on the festival scene? For me I am all about hats! From this fabulous Cowboy Hat to my Psychedelic retro cap in my next look, I just really thing they elevate the look and add more interest. Also, the sunglasses may add another cool retro vibe to the look, but they are actually super practical! You are protecting those little eyes from the UV ray exposure you will be getting all day from partying in the sun (this also marks as a reminder to always wear sunscreen!).  I decided to also show you this look with a little jacket over the top that would be perfect in the evenings, this will roll up really small into the bottom of your bag on you're good to go! Because there is nothing worse than getting cold once the sun has gone down. 

I think something super important to note about festival fashion is that a lot of the style is very "dress up" so a lot of the items you can pick up super cheap at charity shops and carboots. When it comes down to accessories, you cannot go wrong with Poundland! The cheap and tacky hen-do type accessories like this cowboy hat and feather boa's etc. are perfect! You'll look like festival queen, and will have only spent a few quid. Like the cowboy hat, these little fishnet gloves came from a fancy dress shop in the 90's rave section, they were also only £2.99! It really is worth checking out places where you wouldn't think of shopping as you really can pick up some perfect festival styling pieces. 


My second look is I suppose less dramatic, but still as bold and colourful. Actually, this two outfits would be perfect for anyone camping at a festival because they would take up no room at all! The second look is just this super funky psychedelic paisley print halterneck layered over the same little bottoms from the previous one, with the same tights, glasses and gloves. This top was the item that inspired my creativity and what made me come up with the psychedelic princess theme. I love the low neckline so that I can have a glitter chest - and I think I'm going to get a gem piece to put there too. I just think the boldness and playfulness of the print is super fun, and the fit is really feminine and girly which makes it pretty flirtatious. I feel like I just want to twirl around and dance my little heart out in this outfit, it makes me feel so pretty! I feel like If I was a princess in a distant yellow submarine land, this is how I would look all the time. I had a hat change for this look, to a very retro 60's hat with even more groovy psychedelic prints on it! This look really plays more on the traditional 60's hippie style, and I love it! I feel like a modern day Flower Child in this look, I'll be living out my WoodStock fantasies in this for sure. As well as a hat change, I also changed bags to this cute fluffy zebra print backpack. I kept both the bags as backpacks as I think they are just the most practical bag for festivals, just chuck everything in you need, throw it on your back and you're good to go! I hate ever having to carry a bag, I like to feel liberated and hands-free so for me a backpack is perfect. Obviously the iconic bumbag would work fine, however I can just about roll up a little jacket / shirt into one of these lil backpacks so I've got something to put on once it gets cooler as mentioned above. 

Obviously these looks and this sort of vibe is not for everyone, and you can take from this what you will. I personally think festival fashion should just be your own style just amplified, for me that means mad colour, pattern play and cute kitsh accessories - because that's who I am as a person.  There is no better time to experiment with fashion then at a festival, but only ever wear something that you feel comfortable in. These looks and posts are just here to inspire and to show that there are no boundaries to festival fashion, and the limit to expressiveness is endless! I hope some of you are inspired by this look, but are more so inspired to just be yourself and have fun! Life is too short to be taken too seriously, so get out the glitter and let's all get funky. 

XO,XO. EMMA 


/'



No comments