3 Ways To Style Cycle Shorts

Hello, Hello.

I mentioned a few posts prior that a trend that I am super excited about for Spring / Summer is Cycle shorts, they are super comfy and actually super easy to style. However, for today's post I thought I would show you 3 ways to style them, Casual, Smart Casual / Instagram Style & Festival. I think they are such a versatile piece that can easily be dressed up or down, it just all depends on what other items of clothing and accessories you style them with. This trends seems to be more of an "online" one, I don't think we have seen much of it on catwalks, but they are all over our Instagram feeds thanks to Yezzy Season Six which was made most influential by Kim Kardashian. Now all the high street retailers, especially online stores like PrettyLittleThing and Missguided have jumped on the trend for the Instagram baddie gal, but I am here to show you alternative way's to style them, and ways that you can make them your own. So, without further ado let's get into the first look. (P.S. If you click on the above shop links it will take you straight to there selection of shorts, just incase you're looking to spend some cash cash money).

1. Casual Club 


So I thought it was best to start with the most basic / everyday styling first. This is probably a look I will gravitate towards a lot in summer, especially for work because it's so comfortable and simple yet still manages to look quite Chic and put together. For this look I styled my vintage Reebok cycle shorts with my (also vintage) oversized The Smiths band Tee. This is probably the easiest way too style cycling shorts, but you could also easily dress this look up by throwing on a blazer and maybe some heeled boots, that would elevate the look and make it a bit more tailored. However, because I was going for a really simple comfort look I just called it a day by teaming the look with my flyknit Air Force's. I feel like of all the trainers to style with cycling shorts, for some reason Air Force's always work best. 

2. Festival Style 


This look is probably my favourite out of the three, I mean there isn't much doubt there when this is the most colourful, playful "out there" look. I've styled Cycle Shorts similarly to this in a previous post which you can read here if interested. For this look I teamed my (also vintage) Adidas cycle shorts with my cropped H&M Divided Hoodie found here , with a super Andy Warhol inspired printed shirt underneath, when it comes down to festival syle for me more is more. The more layers, the more clashing prints and textures, the better! Of course this is not everyone's festival style, but that is the beauty of it - it is completely your own. Accessories also play a massive part in festival styling, this look would be extra elevated with a pair of fishnets, some head jewels / crown or some crazy glitter. But I kept it (relatively) simple. For footwear there is no better, and no more practical option for festival season than Dr Martens, because they can withstand any weather or any beating that you throw at them. Of course I had to be that bit EXTRA and wear my pink ones, but I mean more colour is never a bad thing to me. The bumbag was of course another essential, but I much prefer the new trend of wearing it cross-body, it is a lot more chic but also feels even more convenient. 

3. Smart Casual / Instagram Style


 This is probably the most popular, and most sought after style, the slick Instagram style. Personally, this really isn't my style. However I have tailored it here to fit my personality and put my own spin on it. I think that is one thing to remember is that yes this is a top trend, but you shouldn't just be wearing it for that sole purpose. I think it is really important to yes be INSPIRED by trends, but not COPY them, instead MAKE THEM YOUR OWN. I guarantee that you will feel more confident and comfortable in something that expresses who you are / your own personal style rather than just a look to make you stay relevant to the trends and what is considered "fashionable". However I do think we are moving past the era of everyone dressing the same, I don't think personal style, especially within street style culture has been this present since the 90s. So, for this look I teamed my simple black cycle shorts, which were literally £2 from Primark, an essential really at such a good price. Probably wouldn't trust them without something on that didn't cover my bum though. I teamed it with this bright yellow strapless top, for an added touch or "me". I am not about the head too toe nude, grey, or black looks, they just aren't me and don't fit my personality. I feel like a staple for this look is the blazer, it really adds the smart edge to the look and elevates it. This is my trusty oversized black and white plaid blazer, and I adore it. It has such a nice effortlessly chic fit, and really pulls this look together. Accessories wise, I kept it simple - as always. I decided to wear this (very) old season topshop straw bag, because these are literally EVERYWHERE at the minute, and they are also something that you can pick up pretty easily in your local charity shop, so definitely keep an eye out! I think the yellow ties in well with the yellow top, and brings the look together. On my feet I am wearing a pair of platform satin black sliders, however if you wanted to go full Instagram - the heeled sock boot is the way to go. 

So, that was my 3 ways of styling cycle shorts! I hope too add more to this series / format of blog post, I have one on silk style scarfs and the basic hoodie in the pipeline so keep an eye out for those if you enjoy this style! Until next time,

XOXO, EMMA

No comments