February Media-based Favourites


Hello, Hello.

Well, hasn't February flown by, honestly it feels like it was only yesterday that I was rounding up my January favourites and moaning about how rubbish the month was. This month however was a lot more promising, and I have quite a lot of favourites this month so lets get into it.

LISTENING

As always, the playlist for the month is linked in the sidebar so you can all have a little groove. So for me, the biggest musical irateness that has graced our ears has to be the Black Panther Soundtrack, produced by the King himself, Kendrick Lamar. (Side note, did anyone watch the Brit's? I screamed with happiness when he won Best International Male, and then got well annoyed when all of his performance was muted due to bad language). I still haven't managed to get to go see the film, which is a massive regret on my part - I really need to man up and just start going on my own to the cinema. My most listened too tracks are Pray for Me (The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar), Big Shot (Travis Scott & Kendrick Lamar), and King's Dead (Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Future & James Blake). The soundtrack is the definition of  the flame emoji, and I've heard the same for the film. 


Keeping in a similar wavelength I have been really enjoying grime this month (as always if you know me well). After watching Stormzy absolutely own The Brits and his beyond incredible performance I have listening to it none stop. However one track that has stood out too me, which is by an artist I've never really listened too - but I will do now. The track is by J.D. Reid, Bossman, Birdie & Ghetts and it's called Different. It is a literal fire in the booth and made it onto my monthly playlist without question. I have J.D. Reid on my radar now and I am looking forward too listening too more of his music. Oh, and speaking of Stormzy, the Sy FX remix of Let Me Down with Jorja Smith has been another hit for me this month.



I have a few more absolutely incredible tracks which I also cannot go without mentioning this month, still in the realm of rap this track, Diddy Bop (feat Cam O'bi & Raury) by Noname is beautiful chilled out and soulful, right up my street. It's a very cool track that I can just imagine relaxing too in summer with an ice cold beer. Now for something completely different, Bitter Winter by ALASKALASKA. Similar in the fact that it is soulful, but in a more electronic jazz way. It's really fresh and fun, but also reminiscent to the 80s. I totally fell in love with this track and the hypnotic melody. The last track I'm going to talk about (even though I could happily talk about why every track on the playlist is amazing) is Crash by EDEN. This song is beautifully honest, and in that slightly broken. You can feel it in his voice, and through the lyrics. I just love the beautiful simplicity of this track, which works perfectly with his heart felt words. This is one of those tracks which are really hard to describe, but that I feel like everyone needs to listen too. It also has some very quotable lyrics, and is perfect for anyone going through heartbreak. I think I would happily say this is my song of the month.


WATCHING

To my surprise this month I haven't watched any films, because I have been too busy binge watching series instead (oops my bad). But my aim for March is to watch more films, so let's hope I stick too it. 

Okay so firstly I have to start off with the return of the cult CLASSIC The X Files. I know this show is probably a bit like Marmite, but I freaking love it. I mean if Maulder and Scully aren't your OTP are you even a true fan? Whenever I hear the theme music I get all excited like a little kid, it is not as good as the original (obviously), but it fills me with nostalgia and I'm just glad that it is still going strong. However it has made me want to rewatch the originals, but they are no longer on netflix and I don't know where I can access it (if anyone knows, can they let me know in the comments please?). 


So the biggest success for me this month, and for Netflix I assume, is the series Altered Carbon. Everyone and their mother has been going on about this show, and for right reasons - it's incredible. Controversy and interest was sparked before the show even aired with the marketing stunt that they put on at a scientific convention in Las Vegas (to find out more about this click here). This Sci-Fi film set in the future is an absolute beauty to behold, the cinematography is rich and stunning. The actors are incredible, especially Joel Kinnaman. I see definite nods too Blade Runner, which I am totally here for, but one of the most incredible things is the abundance of strong female leads. Without giving too much away, this show is revolutionary for the role of women within Sci-Fi, and is something I feel very passionately about. If you haven't had a chance to watch it, I would highly highly recommend it, I mean Netflix Originals rarely disappoint do they? They sure know how to make a brilliant binge-worthy show. But I mean we would all be shocked if they couldn't, right? You can watch the trailer here.


Another show which I have been obsessing over is Wynonna Earp. Based off a IDW Comic it is a based around the great granddaughter of Wyatt Earp, who has to fight supernatural beings and demons that her great grandfather killed in the past. It is a great light hearted fantasy show, there is only one season on Netflix though, so you have been pre-warned (there are 3 seasons in totally). This show is OK, it's not amazing but if you are fans of the genre you'll enjoy this, also the lead character Wynonna is a sassy badass, and I love her attitude.

I have recently just started watching a Spanish Drama on Netflix called Morocco: Love in Times of War, but we're now in March so my final thoughts and opinions will have too wait till next months favourites.

SO that's it for last months favourites, sorry it's late but my excuse is that February had only 28 days - so this isn't too late, right? Also if you follow me on instagram or twitter (which you should! I'm @emmacarline on instagram and @emmalouiseloves on twitter) you will know that my old laptop's screen has broken so I have had to wait until today for my new laptop to arrive.  Anyway, I will try and have more diversity in the watching section next month, I need to get back into sitting down and watching a good movie. But until then, that's it for now.

XOXO, EMMA 


No comments