Unnecessary Pressures, "Me" Time & Being True to Yourself.


Hello, Hello.

So lately I have been thinking about this ideal and pressure that we (bloggers) put onto ourselves to document everything that happens in our lives. Even if blogging is your full time job, you still need time (and moments) which you shouldn't feel the need to capture. It may seem slightly selfish, especially with the fact that being a blogger you are choosing to put your personal life out into the world - however there are some memories which are ones that are just meant for you. No one should ever feel bad or disappointed if you don't manage to shoot or get usable content, there is always another day - it is not the end of the world. What would be worse would be compromising your day and stressing to try and fit everything in. I think it's super important to find the right balance, if I was so caught up on shooting and making sure I had proof of what a fabulous day I had, it might've actually compromised how MUCH of a great day I had. For example, these amazing images where shot by my best friend Sophie @ Steep Drop Media in Newcastle. ( The link to her website is here, and the Instagram account is here too see more of her bad ass work). However,  a few weeks prior we had planned to also shoot in York, but the day got away with us and we didn't get enough time - and that's what actually started this thought process and blog post. That was such a lovely day that we had for ourselves, but at the time I couldn't help but feel a little bit bad, guilty even - about not getting any usable content. It is such a destructive path to go down because you are literally burning yourself into the ground, trying to make everything perfect when the best in life comes naturally.




Now don't get my wrong some of my favourite days are spent shooting, and I love and enjoy them. Like I said, this day shooting in Newcastle was so much fun, and was one of the best days I had had in a long while. However not everyday has to be a shoot day, and not everything needs to be documented. Knowing and accepting that is such a powerful thing, because it allows you to take a breathe and enjoy your time. I was honestly putting myself under all this unnecessary pressure, which in the end can draw the fun out of life, and then what would be the point? I had an equally good day in York having a well deserved catch up, and as much as a lovely lil shoot to accompany it would've been, I'm almost glad we didn't have time. I love blogging, it is a huge part of my life, and a passion. But it doesn't meant that I should feel this weight and pressure on me to make sure that every single thing that I do is content-worthy. I have decided that I need to change my thought process, I am going to tell myself that some days are meant for "Me" Time, and others are for blogging. I think this will really help my work ethic and my mental health, and it doesn't mean that if I feel like I want to take a few shots during "Me" time I can't, it just means that I shouldn't feel the pressure to make it happen. I have found myself getting so caught up on making everything I do "bloggable", which in the end is taking away from the natural beauty of blogging. I honestly really think this will make my content so much more enjoyable, and it will relieve me of all this unnecessary stress I am putting myself under at the same time.



This doesn't just apply to blogging either, we live in a world dominated by social media, with Instagram being the top dog, and the exact same process applies here. We all feel this mad pressure to get some lush shots of our food and coffee, instead of enjoying the moment first and connecting with the people we are sharing it with. It is such a hard and complicated point to get across, because I love social media - but I don't love the pressure and rigidness of it. My favourite things to post are images that project who I am as a person, bright bold and colourful abstract edits and candid / laughing images. My content is about what makes me happy not what I think is acceptable, or - "bloggable".  I have noticed a lot more engagement on my Instagram account now that i am more myself and I think that speaks volumes, and backs up what I am saying that being true to yourself and not trying to fit the mould is what matters.



It all comes down to the undoubted pressure that we all place upon ourselves, the pressure to always be creating good quality content, and keeping it fresh and interesting. But in this process we are loosing the organic way of blogging, which creates the most natural (and therefor best) content of all. Ultimately, if the shooting doesn't come naturally on the day don't force it. I  have found that my favourite shots are the ones where I am laughing or messing around, the ones where I am not thinking too much about "blogging". Or like this shoot in Newcastle, we went on a mini adventure, a lot of it turned out unplanned and spur of the moment, and that is what I loved most. Having fun and experimenting, and showcasing your personality and who you are is what is most important. Some things are meant for you, and that is 100% okay. But more so, don't make everything you do revolve around if it is good content or not - yes that's cool and undoubtedly will encourage you to do fun new things, but it is also putting a lot of unnecessary strain on yourself. What is important about blogging is how you choose to let your personality shine - no matter what you are doing, what people will come back for is YOU. So, instead of thinking everything you do needs to be bloggable, have more faith in the fact that there is really no such thing as "bloggable" - you create that on your own through being yourself.



I know I have definitely gone of on a tangent on this one, but I think I've put my point across. More than anything it has reminded me of the truth to blogging, and how we all really need to go easier on ourselves. I know for those who are reading this who aren't bloggers this may seem a bit odd, but hopefully it will give you an insight as to what goes on behind closed doors, but more so is just a reminder to be yourself! No one should ever feel the need to fit into a mould of what society has deemed acceptable. What will be will be, and what comes naturally is always the most beautiful thing. So until next time,

XOXO, EMMA  


No comments