Runway to My Way | Versace AW 2018

Hello, Hello.

So I have had this idea for a series on my blog for quite a while now, where I take inspiration from my favourite catwalk shows and create looks heavily inspired by them by items of clothing that I already own - or that I've picked up thrifting. The idea is to demonstrate that you don't need to spend much money, if any at all to create something inspired by designer shows. Now don't get me wrong - you are all more than welcome to splurge on the high ticketed items, or even pick up similar inspired options from fast fashion high street retailers -I'm just providing an alternative for all my cost conscious babes out there.

So with the Milan Fashion Week which has just past showcasing the AW18 Shows, and with us here in England being in the midst of Storm Emma & The Beast of the East (and all the snow it has brought along with her, which is finally melting away - thank goodness!) I thought there is no better time to start my series. Today, as you can already tell from the title we are focusing on the Versace show. I cannot deny that for the past few seasons I have been totally head over heels for their collections, mainly because of how bold and colourful they are. Thankfully, the AW18 show did not disappoint. What I loved the most was the return of tartan, but with clashing colours and playful silhouettes that we are all sure Cher Horwitz would be very proud of. The clueless-esque style nods to the 90s, It is preppy meet almost Punk with the mix-match of tartan and the berets. These styles where the highlight too me, they were bold, playful, colourful and unique and that is what I love most about Versace as a brand.

Here are a roundup of my favourite looks, and the ones which I drew the most inspiration from so you can see for reference, if toy want to view the whole runway show then here is the link to the images over on VOGUE here.

So now that you have seen my inspiration, lets see what I've created and why. Tartan is something that pretty much everyone has in their wardrobes, it is a staple every Autumn / Winter, which means we are all more than likely going to have some pieces in our wardrobe we can use. I am a lover of all things tartan so for me, I knew my key pieces would be my green tartan skirt, and my red tartan coat. The two clashing tartan prints may not be the exact colours, but they still pay homage to the style epic-ally. I absolutely love the way they look against each other, very bold colourful and playful. The coat is from River Island about 4 years ago (still going strong!), and the shirt is a charity shop find (sorry!). I would link you all alternatives, but I am trying to show that you don't necessarily need to go out and buy more clothes to master up and coming trends, as they are usually refreshed styles and prints that we have all seen before.

Underneath I decided to wear a print which is a lot more classic Versace - the baroque print. Something Versace has been playing with for years, and for years high street brands have taken their spin on it. I picked up this inspired piece for £2 in a charity shop, and I love the look it gives layered over this H&M Divided Yellow Polo neck (here). Yellow is a colour that always (well more recently anyway) has been featured in their shows, so I knew I wanted to incorporate it in some way. The colour also pairs beautifully with both the red and green tartan, which I tied in together (literally and metaphorically) with my yellow O Ring belt.



For even more boldness I decided to rock red coloured tights, which are actually inspired by the previous Spring Summer Versace runway - with the three head too toe one colour looks. (Which, once the weather warms up, I hope to do a #RunwayToMyWay on very soon). Whilst still on the subject of accessories I decided to tie an old head scarf around my waist, head scarfs were a massive feature of this show so I decided to incorporate one in a less standard way. To finish the look off I threw on a pair of heeled calf length boots, the black contrasted the red tights perfectly and added more of that preppy school girl edge that I had seen on the show.



So that is it for my first ever #RunwayToMyWay! I really enjoyed doing this, and it just goes to show that you can create a super cool designer inspired look on a teeny tiny fraction of the price. I can't wait too do more of these, and show what runways are really inspiring me. I hope that some of you will be inspired to also try this out! I will follow the hashtag just in case anyone does. But for now that's me over and out,

XOXO, EMMA 



No comments