Spring / Summer 2018 Trends : The 1980's

Hello, Hello! 

So, with Spring finally making its mark on the British Countryside and the adorable little lambs are jumping around the fields I thought I would take today to talk about one my favourite trends this season, and show you my take on it. The 1980's in terms of fashion where years of excess and drama, the bolder the shoulder, print, colour or shine of an outfit - the better. I think that's what I love about 80's fashion, as it was so bold and out there but also (for the most part) very colourful! Obviously for this post I am referring too the ~mainstream~ / "popular" style of the decade. For me, the biggest icon is of course Cyndi Lauper. She had such a bold playful unique style, and I love it. So for today's look I was feeling super inspired by my new hair and thought the bolder the better, which is pretty much my outlook on life to be honest.



The main colour of this look is pink, but of course bright almost neon pink - no pastel hues here. I loved the look of layering the cropped oversized sweater over the dress and matching it with my cropped leggings. I think it really added to the whole sportswear / aerobics vibe of the 80's. Sportswear is still a major trend at the minute, especially with the influence of street style still be very predominant. The resurgence of the iconic cycle short (mainly thanks to the Kardashians) just shows how much of an impact the decade is having on today's trends. I honestly can't wait till the weather gets warmer so I can start rocking my cycle shorts, I am going to be all over this trend this year. By teaming these with fishnets while it's a little bit chillier means that they can act as a transitional piece through Spring and into Summer. Also, I am hopefully going to be doing a styling post on them when the weather finally picks up (which fingers crossed is this week in the U.K.), so if you're interested in that keep your eyes peeled on the blog in the future. They are such a versatile item to style and I think they will more than likely take over from high waisted denim shorts for me this year, which is a winner because they are about a million times comfier. I think I might need to invest in them in every colour, no exaggeration. 


The print of this dress screamed the 80's too me, it reminded me of the iconic squiggle / doodle print that was EVERYWHERE alongside geometric shapes. But I also loved the switch in tones, the top half is a white background with black print, and then the bottom half is the opposite. The dress looked cute on it's own but I love the added touch the sweatshirt gives - especially with the 'lil collar peaking through. I just chucked on my super oversized denim jacket / coat over the top, because what was the 80s without denim? Even though I know double denim would be hella more appropriate. But I love the detail of the rainbow stitching it really plays well with the playfulness of this look.  I do not think there are any more appropriate shoes to finish off this look than these high top Nike's. Actually no, a pair of high top white reeboks with the straps (let's ignore the Flo Rida Reference here ~cringe~), but I don't own a pair. But I think these work just as perfectly, especially with the colourway. I also love the way the pink laces and accents tie in with the rest of this look perfectly. These trainers are super old, but still really groovy and definitely gave off the 80s vibe that I was looking for. 

I definitely think that I am more into the more casual and experimental side of 80s fashion rather than the 'glam look'. I can't see myself rocking shoulder pads or crazily bedazzled / metallic dress, but that's the fun of fashion! You can just pick whatever style it is that you like best and run with it and make it your own. You don't need to stick to a specific trend just because that's what is hot at minute, have fun with it and make it your own. The minute that fashion becomes more about trying to fit the trends and straight copy the runway, then it looses its originality and fun. Runway collections are made to inspire and to promote self expressiveness, and that's what fashion should be about. I hate too see people buy something that is considered trendy when they don't even like it just to try and be "current". I personally think the best way, and only way too be "current" is to be yourself and add your personality to your style. I don't mean by being crazy and outrageous, I just think that your style should reflect who you are as a person and not what you think you should be perceived as by society. If you're a quite and simple person, don't feel the need to wear crazily outrageous clothes, and if you like to wear black and feel more like yourself in that, don't feel the need to force yourself to wear colour just for the sake of other people's opinions. You do you, boo. 


Accessories wise I opted for fishnet tights, I mean do fishnets not just scream Madonna in the 80s? Well they do too me. I think they just added a quirky little touch to the outfit and look super cute underneath these cropped leggings, and like I said above added just a little bit of extra warmth ( I mean hardly any, but still). The bag however is where I have failed the era, the clear perspex bags where definately one that became popular in the 90s/ early 2000s. But I just couldn't get over how CUTE it looked with this outfit, especially with the almost neon pink tone to the bag. It definately reminds me of a backpack from when I was younger and I am living for it. This is actually the only item from this whole look that is actually shoppable! (sorry guys). It is from the one and only Primark and costs £4! and was found near the swimwear. The bag inside is my Golf  Le Fleur Converse Dust Bag, but you can be as creative as you want with what you choose to put inside. This trend is RED HOT at the minute with the likes of Chloe and Belenciaga hoping on the train, but this hot pink version is my take on the trend (and a very nostalgic one at that, all i need now is a blow up chair, which I am lusting over so bad). 


So that is it for this weeks blog post, I hope you enjoyed the carefree colourful 80s vibe as much as me. Honestly I have been rocking looks like this a lot recently because they make me feel so happy! I throw on a really colourful and playful look and my mood honestly changes. I can't wait to do more posts on styling cycling shorts, and finally get round to being able to do some festival styling posts. I love this time of year because as festival season approaches everyone is more willing to truly express themselves through fashion, and are less self conscious of what others think. I just wish our society was as accepting as it is over the festival season all the time. But we are getting there!

XOXO, EMMA 


1 comment

  1. OMG You did such an amazing work with the edition of these pictures, they look super cute!

    Andrea/

    https://justohana.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete