My New Fruit Salad Hair!

Hello, hello.

If you've been here a while (or known me IRL a long while), you will know that I love experimenting with hair. I think I have had near enough every colour under the rainbow, from Green too Pink. However, one colour I hadn't used before was yellow, and I was dying too try it. Which, is how my new fruit salad hair came about. I randomly decided one day that I wanted yellow highlights, and on Easter Weekend I made it happen. I also thought that I could talk you through the process and the products we used, alongside showing off my new do! I absolutely adore it, and I have also received the most compliments ever for this colour combo. So, without further ado let's get this show on the road!

As you will know if you have been on my blog before, (and if not, hello! I would love for you to stay) I started with a pink base which was pre-bleached beforehand. If you're not comfortable using bleach at home, and / or if you hair is not strong or in healthy enough condition please *do not do this at home*, go to a salon. I know that is hella expensive, but it's for the sake of your hair. If I'm completely honest, I am not sentimental about my hair. I happily cut it off from near enough waist length to shoulder length without flinching, life is too short to worry about hair! (In my eyes anyway). I knew that I wanted highlights, but I also knew that I didn't want them to be proper chunky and really obvious stripes at the roots. But, too my rescue my mum (who is the hero of this whole process) said she had a plastic highlighting cap, so we used that to pull through the strands of hair that we wanted to use.

Once we had all the strands through we wanted to use (which took ~FOREVER~ do not go into this lightly it takes so so long), we then mixed together the bleach to highlight them. We used the Jerome Russell BBlonde range, with the high lift powder bleach and maximum cream peroxide Vol. 30. These are readily available in Boots / Superdrugs / Savers in the UK and are very affordable, and they do work. I've used them before, and I trust the outcome which is why we used them. It's a 1:1 ratio, and that was all we need. 1 sachet of powder and one little bottle of bleach did a full head of highlights on me, however keep in mind the fact that my hair is shoulder length and I have quite a large undercut. This didn't take long, and also didn't take long to develop, however in hindsight if we left it on a little longer the ends would've been more blonde.

Once we rinsed the bleach off and dried the hair we realised that the hair was pretty much white at the root and the ends were a dirty blonde, which meant that we decided to go with a yellow too orange ombre rather than just yellow. Luckily I already had orange dye in, from when I used to have orange hair. This also didn't take long to do, however I left this on a lot longer than the bleach as it isn't as damaging, and the longer you leave it on the more the colour saturates your hair and lasts longer. So once that had developed, hours later than starting the process we thought YAY DONE. Ha, nope.


Once it was all rinsed and dried I decided I wanted too add some more pink as we had pretty much lost all the colour, so we bought another pink dye and just went through my hair and picked out places where they would work best and Voila! Finally done. This was one the most, if not THE MOST difficult hair dying process but the outcome is pretty gosh darn impressive. I can't believe how much depth and how many different tones and colours there is in it, the other day a customer at work said it looked like 'literal fire' and it made my freaking day. Obviously it isn't perfect, but for a home done job I think me and my mum outdid ourselves.



So what do guys think? Do you like my new hair?? I personally LOVE it. I feel like Hayley Williams circa Misery Business and my 12 year old self would literally be jumping for joy if she could see me now.  My love of colour is not just within my clothes, I share the same passion with my hair! I think I will always be a colourful haired gal, as whenever I go a *normal* colour it never lasts long. Let's hope it washes well and doesn't fade too much, I've got all my fingers crossed that it doesn't.

XOXO, EMMA 

No comments